Monday, July 28, 2008

For my friend Lisa on her birthday

When I think of the kindness, the patience, the forgiveness, the ability to try and understand me - despite what a difficult old bitch I can be - I know there is still reason to be here. You're godamn proof of it lady. You reached out and touched me. Made me laugh. Let me cry. Let me be. Allowed me my foibles and faults. And you've helped me. You didn't have to. You just did.

It's hard for me to tell you how deeply I feel about the things you've done for me. I'm not so good at that. So I'm going to let Joan Baez say it for me.

Your husband is lucky. Your children are lucky. And anyone who knows you is just as lucky as could be. And I'm honored to know you. Happy birthday my dear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=favgoOn-U1I&feature=related

No comments: