Thursday, June 19, 2008

For my very first boyfreind. Who died today.

We all knew it was coming. Not a big surprise. Sadly, cancer is never a big surprise. But when your wife, Anna, called to say you had ended your life your own way? Oh man. What a man you were. You didn't take anything from anyone. Ever. And you made your cancer your bitch. God damn you. You knew it. You just knew it. You made a move. No one ever owned you.

I recall the first time we talked. I was a geeky, nerdy goof ball. My face was always in a book. I wasn't well liked. I tended to say what I meant. Still not a big crowd pleaser. We were sitting in a huge row of grass and fields outside where the football guys practiced. We discussed philosophy. I was reading Plato at that point. And you asked me, "Does anything really mean anything?" And I knew we were soul mates. And you topped it off with perhaps one of the best things anyone ever said to me. Ever. "I don't care what anyone says. I like you." Heh. The seal of approval.

Eric. I remember. I can still taste you on my lips. You were the first man to make me feel like a woman. And I thank you for that my darling. And we stayed friends for so many years. You disapproved of my husband. And you know what? You were right. It wasn't a good fit. It lasted.
But it was hard.

You were my child's godfather. How you loved her. I still feel so much for your adoration of her. As if she was yours. And when you finally became a father? How wonderful you were. I remember a little thing. Your son didn't like getting water in his eyes. And you said, "Shake it off!"And showed him to just wipe his eyes and move on. I know it's small. But it's actually so big. You didn't want him to sweat the small stuff. What a fine man.

So. To you. My dear old friend. I raise a glass. And I toast you. Every good thing comes to an end. Sad but true. But you made a choice. And forever will I admire, adore, love, worship and have more faith in people from just knowing you. You made my childhood a better place my dear. I love you. And I always will. You're not gone. You're still here. I like to think that one wonderful day - you, Nina, our parents, our departed freinds and lovers will sit down to a dinner. And we'll tell old stories. And new ones. And it'll be a fucking blast.

RIP Eric. And if you remember, and I bet you do. We saw Buckley at Metro. And we were both profoundly moved by this. Goodnight dear man. I do so very much hope we meet again. Forever and a day my love. Forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

6 comments:

Cookie Monster said...

So sorry for your loss.

I don't remember you ever mentioning before that you have a daughter?

Alpha Bitch63 said...

What a beautiful tribute to a dear friend. He is fortunate to have known such love. May he have peace and his family comfort to know he did things his way.
If I could find my Sex Pistols album and had a means to play it,I would blast Sid's version of "My Way".
So very to you and his family on the loss.

Alpha Bitch63 said...

Edit: Last line should read...so very sorry for you and his family on the loss.

Max Power B. said...

Thank you both.

I'm writing his eulogy, at his wife's request. I plan on bringing the house down with laughter and tears.

Kelly G. said...

The eulogy - I'm sure it will be amazing, and his wife will be so grateful for choosing someone so thoughtful and creative to deliver these important words.

You two were so lucky to know each other.

I'm so sorry for this terrible loss, but I'm glad to hear that your friend went out on his terms.

It's not how long the flower blooms, but how beautifully.

Max Power B. said...

Thanks for the very nice words Spunky. Not just here, but on Yelp as well.

Max