Friday, May 16, 2008

Save Me

No, don’t. Please don’t even try. Truly. Big waste of your time. And mine.

Those who know me, know I am an atheist. They also know I think agnostics are just chicken shit atheists. Sorry. It’s my belief. I allow you yours. Could you be kind enough, or Christian enough, or Jewish enough, or Muslim enough, or Buddhist enough, or whatever it is you believe in enough to just let me have my own beliefs?

I have never believed in God. I believe there may be a higher power. But that’s a personal idea to me. Not something I’ll share with just anyone. It’s so very, very personal. And yet… I will give you a brief overview.

My thoughts go towards the tenants of most religions. “Do unto others….” Yes, it’s simple. But most true things are. And sometimes doing unto others means being critical of them. Wouldn’t you want someone to tell you that you were acting badly? That the way you behaved was closed minded? Narrow? I would. I might not like it at first. But the greatest gifts I’ve received from friends has been the ability to see how I am viewed.

I grew up reading the bible as literature. And it’s actually a good read. Great stories. And if you have the opportunity to see it as such, you’ll have a greater understanding of most great books. Same goes for Shakespeare. But he never claimed to be “the word”.

So if you want to save me? Save me from zealots. Save me from people who believe their way is the only one. Save me from the pomposity of religion. Save me from the idea that there is just one true way to follow your life. Save me from people who believe abortion is wrong but the death penalty is right. Save me from those who think sex is only for procreation. And please, please save me from all the hypocrites who think they have found the answer.

Because there is no answer. There is only the question. And that should make us behave differently towards each other. So, go ahead, save me from that. Save me from ever thinking that my thoughts mean more than yours. And save me from your ever trying to make me think your thoughts mean more than mine.

But no one is going to save you from my anger when you try and shove your beliefs down my throat. Max don’t play that. And she never will.

And if you wonder where this is coming from? Please read Professor Howdy's comments in the post below.

And Professor or Captain Howdy. I may not believe in god. But I do in soul and meaning. And I forgive you for trying to push your ideas on me without an invite. Maybe Max is trying to tell you something. And that's not to let you believe you are a judge of me. Or my life. Or my thoughts. That is for a higher power. If it is. Save your judgement for yourself sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ZT5sajkys

6 comments:

David said...

I've always felt as though people are constructed in different ways -- built of different atoms (or adams, if you will), constructed of molecules stuck together in different ways.

Which means our brains are all different; which means we'll all have different orientations and different journeys, no matter how much we believe what we believe.

In other words, there's a kind of spiritual ecosystem, and we all have niches to fill in that ecosystem. There is no point doing anything but learning about what interests you, and contemplating what you can do to make the world and yourself better.

There's nothing to suggest that atheists can't do that just as well as theists (of which, I suppose, I'm one). Saints come in all stripes. So do totalitarians.

The real waste -- the real tragedy -- is the amount of time we spend trying to convince others to be like us, think like us, believe as we believe.

Be who you are. There's plenty of cause for celebration, and contemplation, in that.

Max Power B. said...

Thank you for your comments David.

Max

Anonymous said...

The Meaning of Life, The Purpose of Life, Why We Are Here, What Am I To Do Here on Earth....? etc, etc.

1. Learn to Learn.
2. Love to Learn.
3. Learn to Love.
4. Love to Love.

Pretty much fucking it.

Anonymous said...

Happy Sunday.

http://www.scn.org/~davidb/sunday.html

Cookie Monster said...

god really can save you!

www.divine-interventions.com

Brandie Renae said...

I've been "christian"; yeah, i bought into the franchise - for a while. I was young, what can I say?

As I grew, I had questions of course - There's something funny with me, if an answer makes sense - I'll accept it - if it doesn't, I'm off looking for one that does.

Religion left me with more questions than plausible answers, so, I "broke away from the fold" as it were. I have no desire to go back either.